August 4, 2006
Although three months have passed without any new document additions to the
Knowledge Base, the 3cd team has been intensively working in the collection of
City Profiles and Sound Practices. The amount of documents completed would not
be possible without the EMI Local Internship Program. This program allows for
interns living within the city to interact with the University and City level
contacts. Additional coordination is provided on Maui through the 3cd Program
Director, the 3cd Program Component 1 coordinator, and a PDC-ECO intern, all of
them working closely with the PDC technical team.
Five new City Profiles:
Nine new Sound Practices:
- KobeThis comprehensive plan deals with the short and long term recovery from the 1995 Great Hanshin-Awaji earthquake.
- BogotaThese six sound practices
range from capacity building, to emergency response, to mass media.
- QuitoThis project applies research to locate vulnerability and improve the cities infrastructure.
- MumbaiIncreasing Mithi River discharge capacity to prevent flooding in low-lying areas.
Two new field trip reports:
April 6, 2006
New City Profile - Kobe: With the contribution of
colleagues from EdM team-4, relevant information on the disaster risk
management organization in Kobe, Japan has been completed and is available
on the City Profile section.
March 27, 2006
The agenda for a week-long field work in the Valley of Kathmandu
has been completed in cooperation with Kathmandu Metropolitan City, KMC,
and the National Society of Earthquake Technology, NSET, for May 15-19, 2006.
Details for a DRMMP proposal and action items for discussion can be read
here or on the DRM Library section.
February 24, 2006
- A set of indexes to promote risk communication among different stakeholders
to assist policy decision making and monitoring of different risk reduction
practices implemented at the local level will be put in place and pilot-tested
for the megacity context.
- The implementation process for a system of Risk Reduction and Management
indicators in Metro Manila is outlined
here. For details in the methodology
see two case studies in Bogotá. Templates and Guide Books for Metro Manila
are available in our DRM Library and the following:
January 30, 2006
- Lessons learned from the implementation process of the 3cd model for
disaster risk management in megacities through the Metro Manila case study.
January 19, 2006
- In line with the agenda on mainstreaming disaster risk management in
megacities and complex urban areas of the 3cd Program, two separate
seminar-workshops were conducted in Metro Manila in December 2005.
- A paper containing key elements of an urban regeneration project in
Zeytinburnu District, Istanbul can be downloaded from our
DRM Library or take a look
- Field Trip No. 4 of the implementation of the DRMMP for Metro Manila
consisted of a second "focus group" meeting and two separate
seminar/workshops centered on land use and planning tools for risk reduction.
October 28, 2005
- Useful land use and planning tools for Risk Reduction will be discussed
with local planners in Metro Manila. Two workshops have been scheduled
for December 2005.
- EMI and PDC launch the 3cd Program in Kathmandu. A project definition
workshop was held on September 6/2005 with the support of Kathmandu
Metropolitan City and NSET.